Whereas the a part of federal authorities was at a standstill throughout the 35-day partial shutdown, the Census Bureau was plugging away at hiring the half-million short-term employees it wants for the 2020 rely.
The tally of each residing individual within the nation will start subsequent January, however the Census Bureau has already begun the huge recruiting effort, hiring a number of hundred employees since late December, NPR reported. The company has been taking job purposes on its web site and plans a high-profile hiring push later this yr.
The Census Bureau was in a position to proceed making ready for the rely throughout the federal government shutdown with $1.1 billion from 2018 that would solely be used for the 2020 census, The Washington Put up reported.
Pay for the roles varies by location. In Washington state, for instance, hourly pay ranges from $14.50 to $18, in accordance with The Columbian.
The Census Bureau jobs website says candidates ought to meet the next standards:
- Be at the least 18 years previous.
- Have a legitimate Social Safety quantity.
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Have a legitimate electronic mail tackle.
- Full an utility and reply evaluation questions. (Some evaluation questions can be found in Spanish. Nevertheless, an English proficiency check can also be required.)
- Be registered with the Selective Service System or have a qualifying exemption, if you’re a male born after Dec. 31, 1959.
- Cross a Census-performed legal background test and a evaluation of legal information, together with fingerprinting.
- Decide to finishing coaching.
- Be accessible to work versatile hours, which may embody days, evenings, and/or weekends.
The bureau notes that a lot of the jobs require entry to a pc with web and electronic mail, and a automotive and legitimate driver’s license, until the worker is close to public transit.
The vast majority of the positions are for jobs that can final for just a few weeks. Other than census takers, different roles embody supervisors, recruiting assistants and workplace staffers.